D-49 Tree Service

Contractors License

  Get Your D-49 Tree Service License

  Livestream or In-Person Classes

  Or Purchase The Material And Study On Your Own

  Only Takes A Few Weeks

  Pass-Test Guarantee

  Be Your Own Boss
. .


How To Get Your D-49 Contractor License

Oh Yeah, Contractor Time.

You want your contractor license.

 I get it. It’s time.

But how do you get your D-49 Tree Service Contractor License? 

Give us a call.


How To Get Your D-49 Contractors License

 Getting your Tree Service Contractor License can be a daunting task. 

Right now i’m going to list out everything you need to know in order to get that done. 


Ok. First things first.

Getting your license requires three things. 

1. Must have 4 years of experience doing D-49 work

2. Must be over 18

3. Must have a valid SSN or ITIN

4. Juggling

Well, I may have been lying about that last one. 

 But all around pretty easy. 

Once you have all 4 years of experience the truth is you’re nearly there. 

You may not have known it but you’re been working toward getting your license for years. 

This is just the last sprint. 

For more information regarding the requirements go to the CSLB website. 


 The last sprint is defined as passing the contractor license exam. 

And yes. It is exactly that. A Sprint. 

It’s hard. Annoying. And a whole 125 questions long. 

Which may make it more of a marathon. But that’s just an anology. 

Here’s what you need to know. 

The test is written by lawyers, not contractors. This means if you want to pass you must know what lawyers know. 

AkA, contract law, liens. bonds, taxes, etc.

If you haven’t studied these things then the chances are you won’t pass without some help. 

I guess that’s why we’re here.


Our passion is your success.

We want to help you get your license. AND become a successful contractor. 

Because all successful contractors have their license but not all contractors are successful. 

Here are our courses:

1. Homestudy – Where you teach yourself using different books, videos and online materials. 
2. Online – Tune into our live classes and participate online. 
3. In Class – Join one of our schools for in person lessons and attention. 

Each one will teach you the things you need to know. 

Some a little more than others. Take the in class for example, you will be learning from an actual instructor in a classroom setting. 

Or a more in between course like the online option where you learn from our owner who has 30 years of business experience online. 

No matter what though you must learn the law. 

Give us a call if you have questions. 


How do you verify your experience?

If you’ve made it this far you’re probably curious how you verify your experience. 

That’s a great question. Let me help you out. 

Here’s the steps: 

1. Receive Application upon enrollment

2. Complete application with basic information 

3. Sign work experience 

4. Submit and schedule test 


Basically that’s how it is done. 

Below is a sample of the work experience portion. 

This is attatched to the overall application form and submitted through the mail (who knew that was still a thing) to the CSLB with the signature. 

Our recommendation is to get another D-49 contractor to sign off for you because those look best however you have many options. 

Once that happens you just have one more step. Passing the test. 

The CSLB will take 4-8 weeks to get back to you in order to schedule your test. In the mean time you can continue studying and preparing your business. 

How to verify your work experience in order to get your California Contractor License

How long does it take?

 In total it takes an average of 3 months (Including 1 month for the course and 2 months until testing). 

What’s the best business entity?

The best business entity is the one that can protect you the most. That happens to be the S Corp for contractors. 

It also happens to be the cheapest of the corporations you could have. 

The Contract Bond

The contractor bond aka the surety bond isn’t a worry until after you pass your test.

However it is cheap and easy to obtain. 

Learn more about the fees attatched to getting your license here


I get it that’s a lot of information to throw at you. 

However if you could remember anything, remember this. 

Just get started. You’ve probably wanted your license for a while now. Putting it off is the only way to ensure you don’t get it. 

A Detailed Description Of The D-49 Contractor License


D-49 – Tree Service Contractor

California Code of Regulations
Title 16, Division 8, Article 3. Classifications

A tree service contractor prunes trees, removes trees, limbs or stumps (including grinding) and engages in tree or limb guying.


Take A Practice Law Test

Take A Practice Law Test

Subscribe to get updates (and epic content) from us and get access to a free ten-question law test. So you can get a taste of what the law test is like :)

Success! Confirm your email to get access to Practice Test.