Get Your D-40 Service Station Equipment and Maintenance License

  Livestream or In-Person Classes

  Or Purchase The Material And Study On Your Own

  Only Takes A Few Weeks

  Pass-Test Guarantee

  Be Your Own Boss
. .


How To Get Your D-40 Contractor License

Enough Is Enough.

 Without that sounding like an intro to a feminist blog.

I mean to say it’s time to get your D-40 contractor license. 

But how do you get your license?

Give us a call.


How To Get Your D-40 Contractors License

Getting your license has never been easier. 

I really do mean that. 

There are loads of resources out there to help you take those next steps and get your license. 

Let’s dive into it. 


There’s only three requirements: 

1. Must have 4 years of experience doing D-40 work

2. Must be over 18

3. Must have a valid SSN or ITIN

Now I know what you’re thinking. 

‘That’s it. Super simple.’

 I know right! 

Makes you wish you got your license ages ago. 

But all that matters is you’re trying now. 

So let’s get into what you need to move forward.

For more information regarding the requirements go to the CSLB website. 


 In order to get your D  License you need to pass a Law and Business test. (just one test opposed to the C License)

This is a difficult test. 

I cannot lie. Chances are if you haven’t studied law then you may not know everything on the test. 

And that’s ok. 

Why? Because there’s resources here to help you. 

Resources like the…


Our goal is to make sure you pass the contractor license test. 

Therefore you can go and be a successful contractor. 

But how do we do it? 

1. Homestudy – Where you teach yourself using different books, videos and online materials. 
2. Online – Tune into our live classes and participate online. 
3. In Class – Join one of our schools for in person lessons and attention. 

The contractor test is written by lawyers. 

Therefore we used lawyers to write our custom content. 

 Essentially fighting fire with fire. 

If you have any questions give us a call. 


How do you verify your experience?

When you first learned about the experience requirements you proably thought to yourself ‘how do I prove my experience?’

What a great question. 

Let me explain in a few steps: 

1. You receive the application (upon enrollment)

2. Fill out Application with appropriate information

3. Experience sign off. 

4. Submit and schedule test. 


As you can see the experience is verified through a signature and description of work. 

As the qualifying individual you can fill out the paragraph of work done. However must find someone to fill out the signature. 

This can be a variety of different people from employers, journeyman, employees but our recommendation is another D-40 contractor. 

This looks best on the application. Once you finish we’ll be happy to look over it and the next thing you know you’ll be scheduling the test. 

How to verify your work experience in order to get your California Contractor License

How long does it take?

On average it takes 3 moths to get your license. Now I know this may seem like a long time however let me break it down.

After going through the course for 1 month we recommend sending the applicaiton. By then you would have gone through the course and are ready to move on. 

Once you submit the state takes another 4-8 weeks to process your application. During that time it is best to keep studying and preparing your business. 

By the time you schedule your test and pass, everything should be in order and you will be all ready to go. 

What’s the best business entity?

S Corps are the best for contractors and small businesses.

We’ll teach you more in the course. 

The Contract Bond

The bond is easy to obtain and is necessary after you pass the test. 

Costs roughly $150 to obtain. 


I get it. That’s a lot of information. 

The important thing to remember is just to keep going. 

You may not understand the whole process right now but you will learn. 

And we will help you. So keep going. 

A Detailed Description Of The D-40 Contractor License


D-40 – Service Station Equipment and Maintenance Contractor

California Code of Regulations
Title 16, Division 8, Article 3. Classifications

A service station maintenance contractor installs, repairs, maintains or calibrates monitoring equipment for underground fuel storage tanks up to 20,000 gallons which have been or are to be used for dispensing gasoline, diesel fuel, waste oil or kerosene (no chemicals). This includes the installation of vapor probes in back fill areas of the tanks and any associated calibration work, including but not limited to the testing and adjustment of leak detection and vapor recovery equipment, such as automatic tank gauges, leak line detectors, vapor recovery lines, and in-station diagnostics.

Note for Those Holding a License with this Classification Issued Prior to January 18, 2001: You may perform all the work as described above, as well as install and/or remove the underground fuel storage tanks themselves, including the installation and/or removal of all incidental tank related piping and electrical work, and the installation of auto hoisting equipment, grease racks, compressors, air hoses, and other service station equipment.


Take A Practice Law Test

Take A Practice Law Test

Subscribe to get updates (and epic content) from us and get access to a free ten-question law test. So you can get a taste of what the law test is like :)

Success! Confirm your email to get access to Practice Test.