Contractor License School

How To Get Your General B
Contractors License

Getting your General B “General Contractors” License may be easier than you think.

The only pre-requisite–in other words, the only thing you have to have–is four years of experience doing General B type of work. (General B work is ‘rough carpentry’–I’ll past a more informative definition below, but most-likely, if you’re on this page, you know what a general b contractor does).

If you have a bachelor’s degree, then the state only requires two years of experience in the trade.

Okay, so you have the 4 years. What’s next?

In order to get the license, you have to send off an application to the state of California. On the application, you have to have someone sign off for you–usually you’ll want this person to be your employer, former employer, supervisor, or business associate. The state will receive your application and then give you a test date because you must pass two tests with the state in order to receive your license.

The contracting school in Temecula really changed my life. Today I own my own business. I would highly recommend this school for anyone trying to get their contractor license in the state of California!! – Douglas Palmer (GeneralB Licensed Contractor)

In case you’re getting bored of all this reading, watch this video. Or scroll past the video and keep reading đŸ™‚

All right, more on the tests. You must pass these tests administered by the state:

One test is on construction law.
The second test will focus on the trade (in your case, the General B).

Now, technically speaking, you don’t have to attend a contractor school like ours. You can simply take the tests without going to any classes, but it is highly recommended that you go to classes because otherwise you may have difficulty passing the tests.

The trade test will probably be the easier of the two because you already have experience in construction, but the law test may prove more difficult (and is usually the one that contractors struggle with) because it’s written by lawyers and includes topics such as contract law, bonds and liens. Even taxes. Yeah, it’s tough stuff.

That’s where we come in.
Our program will provide with the classes and all the materials you’ll need to be able to pass both the tests.

If you want to attend our classes in-person and go through our program that way, see our locations and times.

If you don’t live anywhere near our classes, you can always take them online. With our online program, you still get everything you need to pass those tests, sans the in-person classes. But you will be able to access pre-recorded classes online.

What about bonds?–you may ask.

Don’t you have to have a bond?


Other than attending classes and sending off that application in order to take the tests there are a few additional small steps to get your contractors license.

We have a detailed page about that on our website if you want more info on that.

Otherwise, you’re good to go.
Give us a call if you want to set an appointment and sign-up.
Or enroll for our classes online.
You can either enroll for the classes at one of our locations, or you can enroll for our online course.

(800) 659-1207

Thanks for your time.

The General Contractor License is one of the most sought-after licenses in the United States and specifically the state of California. That’s because it is one of the most versatile licenses. Anyone licensed with this B trade license can take almost any kind of job out there by hiring a subcontractor or working the project themselves. Unlike a specialty license contractor that must stick to doing work that pertains only to its trade, the general contractor can take projects with multiple trades. This opens the door to all kinds of construction possibilities and a larger pool of opportunities than any other trade. Here is a list of the things a general contractor can do as specified by the state:

Here’s the definition of the General B Contractor from CSLB themselves (CSLB–the Contractor State License Board, AKA, your future overlords). Now, if you’re confused, CSLB recently split the General B licensed into two license. The new license is called the (B-2) Residential Remodeling Contractor. If that makes no sense to you, call us @ (800) 659-1207.

Without further ado, here is the def of the General B license:

Business & Professions Code
Division 3, Chapter 9. Contractors, Article 4. Classifications

7057. (a) Except as provided in this section, a general building contractor is a contractor whose principal contracting business is in connection with any structure built, being built, or to be built, for the support, shelter, and enclosure of persons, animals, chattels, or movable property of any kind, requiring in its construction the use of at least two unrelated building trades or crafts, or to do or superintend the whole or any part thereof.

This does not include anyone who merely furnishes materials or supplies under Section 7045 without fabricating them into, or consuming them in the performance of the work of the general building contractor.

(b) A general building contractor may take a prime contract or a subcontract for a framing or carpentry project. However, a general building contractor shall not take a prime contract for any project involving trades other than framing or carpentry unless the prime contract requires at least two unrelated building trades or crafts other than framing or carpentry, or unless the general building contractor holds the appropriate license classification or subcontracts with an appropriately licensed specialty contractor to perform the work. A general building contractor shall not take a subcontract involving trades other than framing or carpentry, unless the subcontract requires at least two unrelated trades or crafts other than framing or carpentry, or unless the general building contractor holds the appropriate license classification. The general building contractor may not count framing or carpentry in calculating the two unrelated trades necessary in order for the general building contractor to be able to take a prime contract or subcontract for a project involving other trades.

(c) No general building contractor shall contract for any project that includes the “C-16” Fire Protection classification as provided for in Section 7026.12 or the “C-57” Well Drilling classification as provided for in Section 13750.5 of the Water Code, unless the general building contractor holds the specialty license, or subcontracts with the appropriately licensed specialty contractor.

(Amended by Stats. 1997, Chapter 812 (SB 857).)


full online course

  • 4 Law & Business Live Streaming Classes
  • Once A Week For 4 Weeks
  • Two Months Access
  • Trade DVDs and CDs.


  • – Law & Business Practice Tests
  • – Trade Practice Tests
  • – Access To Law-Class Recordings (Video and Audio)
  • – Trade DVD Teaching
  • – Trade CD Teaching
  • So Basically Everything You Need To Study Law and Trade


  • Application Assistance (That Application Can Be Difficult)
  • A Handy-Dandy Pass-Test Guarantee
how to get your general b contractors license


“Excellent school! I passed law and electrical exams on my first try and I was more than ready. They also set up my S Corps and helped me through the full process.”

Charles Blake, Contractor


A lot people ask us: when are you going to introduce free Cinnabon into the program, as in Cinnamon rolls. The answer is simple. But first, here are a few pages we want to highlight, in case you’re interested in learning more:

How To Become A General Contractor
How To Get Your Contractors License Online
How To Get Your Contractors License From Home
How To Study To Get Your Contractors License
Contractors License Requirements
Types of Contractors Licenses (All Classifications)

To answer the Cinnamon Roll question, we’re on a strict bring your own (as well as one for your teacher) policy at the moment. Check back for future updates.

Take a Practice Test?

Subscribe to our newsletter to take a free practice test of the Law & Business test. Don't worry. We don't bite. (Often).

    We won't send you spam. Unsubscribe at any time.

    Open. Now Enrolling.

    Order our online course and then watch a Mel Gibson movie and then dream big. Think big. Do great things.

    Call us if you have any questions.

    Or if you just want to talk about the Mel Gibson movie you just watched.

    (800) 659-1207





    Take A Practice Law Test

    Take A Practice Law Test

    Subscribe to get updates (and epic content) from us and get access to a free ten-question law test. So you can get a taste of what the law test is like :)

    Success! Confirm your email to get access to Practice Test.