C-2 Insulation and Acoustical
Contractors License

  Get Your C-2 Insulation and Acoustical License

  Livestream or In-Person Classes

  Or Purchase The Material And Study On Your Own

  Only Takes A Few Weeks

  Pass-Test Guarantee

  Be Your Own Boss
. .


Contractor Studying for his Contractor license

We Hear You.

Loud and clear.

You want to get your C-2 Contractors License.

Which is acoustic and insulation.

Which is awesome, because you control the sound of a room.

If you get your license, you can also control your own business.

And your future.

Cheesy, right? But true.



How To Get Your C-2 Contractors License

Where would Guitar Center be without you? In fact, where is Guitar Center now? I’m not sure (don’t have my ‘Maps’ application open). Contractors who install soundproofing materials install soundproofing materials.

Simple, right?

Yes, just like getting your license.

Getting your license is simple. Keep reading for more info.

Or just give us a call.

We’re literally waiting by the phone.


Here’s a video in case you don’t want to read the rest of this page:


only three things. you need:

1. Four years of experience doing C-2 Acoustical and Insulation-related work (by work, we mean work).

2. You must be at least 18 years old.

3. You must have a valid social security or ITIN number.

How do you get 4 years of experience? Simple. You work for someone for four years. It’s like a paid apprenticeship. That’s the beautiful thing about the trades. Once you have experience you can branch off, spread your wings, and start your own business. Like Miley Cyrus (not sure if this reference is applicable but I’m sure it is).



So you have the necessary four years of experience and you’re over 18-years-old.

Now what?

You have to pass two MAIN TESTS with the state of California: a Law test and a Trade test.

Before you ask, yes, they are difficult tests.

The Trade test contains questions in relation to your Trade. In your case, C-2.

The Law (and Business) test covers business and license law. You’ll have to have decent knowledge of liens, contracts, bidding practices, baking cookies (jk), budgeting and taxes and MORE.

Will you be able to pass them without studying?

Probably not. Which is where we come in.


We’re a Contractor License School based in Southern Cal but we serve the entirety of California, selling books to all of the counties, small and large–and even a few unincorporated towns.

We’ve been in business for more than a decade, selling our course material and enrolling thousands of students through our multiple locations.

As of late, given the nature of our times (pandemic and all), we’ve updated our program to include livestreamed classes so that you can take our classes from home. The options are, like the Bradley Cooper movie, Limitless.


But what’s your phone number, you ask?


I answer.

the main question everyone asks us because everyone wants to know the answer:

But how do you prove to the state you have four years of experience doing insulation and acoustics?

The same way you scale a wall: you get someone to sign off on your application saying you have the four years of experience. Who? Well, that’s up to you. You do have a few options.

You can get the signature from your former or current employer. From a coworker. Even from a client if you’re claiming your status as self-empoyed.


Being self-employed in construction in California without a license is like wearing socks without sandals while stealing a dolphin from the local aquariam: illegal.

Yes, you can’t do construction in California if you don’t have a license unless you’re working for someone (and you’re actually on payroll).

If you get caught you will get in major trouble — in the form of fines or even jailtime.

What’s more, it’s illegal to even advertise without a license.

And then you say: well, as long as I’m doing work for $500 or less. Yes, that’s technically true. But that includes labor and materials. If the materials for your inconsequentially small job is $200, you can only charge $300 for labor. You can’t make much money staying under the $500 rule.

Point is, if you’re currently self-employed, you need to get your license. NEED TO.

The state isn’t going to come down on you if you claim on your application that you’re self-employed, because they want you to get your license. But if they catch you on the job site, that’s another story.

Description Of The C-2 License

This description comes from CSLB’s website and is legally accurate:

C-2 – Insulation and Acoustical Contractor

California Code of Regulations
Title 16, Division 8, Article 3. Classifications

An insulation and acoustical contractor installs any insulating media and preformed architectural acoustical materials for the purpose of temperature and/or sound control.

Authority cited: Sections 7008 and 7059, Reference: Sections 7058 and 7059 (Business and Professions Code)

Take A Practice Law Test

Take A Practice Law Test

Subscribe to get updates (and epic content) from us and get access to a free ten-question law test. So you can get a taste of what the law test is like :)

Success! Confirm your email to get access to Practice Test.