C-51 Structural Steel
Contractors License

  Get Your C-51 Structural Steel License

  Livestream or In-Person Classes

  Or Purchase The Material And Study On Your Own

  Only Takes A Few Weeks

  Pass-Test Guarantee
. .


Contractor Studying for his Contractor license

Structural Steel. Sounds Fun.

If you want to get your C-51 License.

Which is Structural Steel.

Which is amazing.

You’re in the right place.

We can help.

In a big way.



How To Get Your C-51 Contractors License

Structural Steel is certainly the most fun contractors license you could possibly acquire.  This is a verifiable fact (joking — but still, I assume it’s a cool license). If you’re a structural steel contractor and want to get your license, you’re on the right page.

If you want a different license classification you’re on the wrong page.

Anyway, all you need to get the structural steel license is four years of experience doing structural steel.

If you have that, you’re qualified, and then there are only a few additional steps.

This is the part of the process where contractors often get overwhelmed.

But you don’t have to get overwhelmed. Just give us a call for more info @ 866-570-3648 for more info or continue reading.



1. Four years of experience doing C-51 stuff (by stuff, we mean work).

2. You must be at least 18 years old.

3. You must have a valid social security or ITIN number.

Then what?


You have to pass two tests with the state of California to get your license.  One test is a trade test.  In your case, this test will consist of questions pertaining to structural steel.  This test won’t be that hard for you.  Still, we’ll provide you with study materials and practice tests to prepare.

The more difficult test is the LAW AND BUSINESS test.

Our classes focus on preparing you for this test.

That’s our job.

Once you pass the tests there are a few small things you must do.


You have to get a contractors bond (these are fairly inexpensive) and you must get a live scan.

These things are simple. You don’t need to worry about them right now, though.

After all, Jesus says to only worry about today and not about tomorrow.

TODAY, you need only to give us a call or keep perusing our website to discover your many options and our pricing packages. Or continue scrolling.


We walk you through everything you need to know in our classes.

But, before you take these state tests, you do need to determine your business structure — whether or not you want to be a sole owner or a corporation.

If you’re not sure right now, that’s okay.

It’s actually a big topic of conversation in our classes.

We’ll help you determine what’s best for your business based on your goals and dreams.


But how do you prove to the state you have four years of experience?

It’s easy.

It’s also simple.

You must have a human person sign off on your application verifying you have four years of experience doing structural steel.

That person can be your current or former employer or a client (if you are self-employed steel person) or a co-worker. This person doesn’t have to have their license — but that would be preferable.

And yes, you read that right: your self-employed experience counts. If you’re currently working your own structural steel jobs and you don’t have a license you are breaking the law (in a big way), but that doesn’t mean you can’t get your license. All the jobs you’ve been doing (if you have four years of experience) will qualify you to get your license.

What are you waiting for?

We’re just a phone call away.

Description Of The C-51 License (FROM Contractors State Licensing Board).

Here’s the legal description of the structural steel classification, taken from CSLB’s website:

(CSLB is the government department you must go through to receive your license).

California Code of Regulations
Title 16, Division 8, Article 3. Classifications

A structural steel contractor fabricates and erects structural steel shapes and plates, of any profile, perimeter or cross-section, that are or may be used as structural members for buildings and structures, including the riveting, welding, rigging and metal roofing systems necessary to perform this work.

Authority cited: Sections 7008 and 7059, Reference: Sections 7058 and 7059 (Business and Professions Code)

Take A Practice Law Test

Take A Practice Law Test

Subscribe to get updates (and epic content) from us and get access to a free ten-question law test. So you can get a taste of what the law test is like :)

Success! Confirm your email to get access to Practice Test.