C-16 Fire Protection
Contractors License

  Get Your C-16 Fencing License

  Livestream or In-Person Classes

  Or Purchase The Material And Study On Your Own

  Only Takes A Few Weeks

  Pass-Test Guarantee
. .


fire sprinklers

Fire Protection Contractor

You’re a fire protection contractor?

We need you like we need oxygen.

And also like fire needs oxygen.

But mostly we need you to prevent fires.

But how can you do that (and make lotsa money doing it) if you don’t have a contractors license?

Luckily, you’re in the right place. Call us for more info or keep scrolling.



How To Get Your C-16 Contractors License

It’s as simple as preventing fires, but actually way more simple. Because that can get tricky, I’m sure. (I’m not actually sure. I’m just the guy they hired to write the content for this page).

One thing I am sure of is this: it’s always better to have your license. When you have your own license, you can take your owns jobs if you want. You can work as a subcontractor. You can make way more money than being employed to someone.

Plus, you have that extra special thing we all want: freedom.

You get to make your own hours.  You’re the boss.

Of course, running a business is hard, but you have to take it one step at a time. First step, of course, is getting your license.

It’s actually a simple process.

I’ll break it down.

You Only Need Three Things

1. Four years of journey-level experience doing ‘Fire Protection’ stuff.

2. You must be at least 18 years old.

3. You must have a valid social security or ITIN number.

And Then One More Thing:

If you have the first three things you’re on the right track.  Good job.  Pat yourself on the back.

What’s the one more thing?

You have to pass two tests with the state of California.

Are they hard?


But that’s where we come in.

Who Are We?

We’re the best thing that’s happened to you today. Unless you won the lottery. Then we’re the second best thing. And if you won the lottery why would you even be on this page? Go to Vegas. Pronto. (Don’t go to Vegas. That’s very bad advice).

We’re  a Contractor License School and, when it comes to contractor licensing matters, we actually give really good advice.

It’s our job to provide the schooling necessary to prepare you to pass the state tests.

Law and Trade

You’ll have to pass a test on your trade (fire protection, in case you forgot).

And you’ll have to pass a test on construction law — questions about bonding, liens, stop notices, contract law, etc…

Like I said, they’re not that easy.

But it’s our job to make them easy for you. By providing you with all the study material you’ll need.

We’re In SoCal

You can attend our in-person classes in southern California, as we have several locations.

Livestream Classes

And if you’re not anywhere near one of our locations you can attend our classes through livestreams, or you can simply purchase our materials and study on your own.

What’s Next?

Well, once you’re studied up and ready to confront the state tests you have to submit an application to California (CSLB specifically). Once you’re accepted, they’ll give you a test date.

There is one thing important to note here.

On your application, you must have an individual sign it verifying that you truly do have the minimum four years of experience in your trade.

And now you’re asking: who must that person be?


That person can be your current or former employer. If they’re not willing to sign the application or you don’t feel comfortable asking them, you can have a fellow employee sign the application.

And, if you’re currently doing fire protection work self-employed (which is technically very illegal because you don’t have your license yet) then you can have a client sign off on your application. The state will accept your self-employed experience as experience. That being said, if they catch you on the job site doing work without your license they will fine you and possibly even throw you in jail.

Not trying to scare you (maybe a little).

You just really need to get your license if you’re currently doing your own work without it.

After You Pass The Tests

That’s the question everyone asks.

There are a few things to take care of — a few loose ends to tie up — after you pass the tests.


You have to get a livescan (this is inexpensive).

You have to get a Surety Bond (which is really simple).

You have to pass an open book asbestos test (easy as cake and pie put together).

The stuff you have to do after passing the tests is the simple stuff, honestly.

And, in our classes, we delve deeper into these things.

We like to walk you through the process slowly but surely so you don’t get overwhelmed.

That being said, if you want more info, feel free to call.

We like to talk.


How Long Will Everything Take?

In all honesty, probably two to three months. For some people it takes less time than that. For others it takes more. It’s all up to you. The process can seem confusing. But, like I said, we’ll walk you through it every step of the way.


a basic description of your trade (which you already know).

this description is taken from the state of CALI — from CSLB.

California Code of Regulations
Title 16, Division 8, Article 3. Classifications

A Fire protection contractor lays out, fabricates and installs all types of fire protection systems; including all the equipment associated with these systems, excluding electrical alarm systems.

Authority cited: Sections 7008 and 7059, Reference: Sections 7058 and 7059 (Business and Professions Code)




Take A Practice Law Test

Take A Practice Law Test

Subscribe to get updates (and epic content) from us and get access to a free ten-question law test. So you can get a taste of what the law test is like :)

Success! Confirm your email to get access to Practice Test.