Online General B School

Get your General B Contractor License through our Online Course. You can complete our course in 4 weeks or faster, depending on your personal preference.

General Building Construction

The state of California categorizes General “B” as anything “framing” or “rough carptentry.”

Is this course right for you?

If you have four years of experience in the General B trade, you live and work in California, and you want to get your contractors license, then this course is exactly right for you.

We offer it online for your convenience. You can learn from home, at your own pace.

This class can be completed in 4 weeks at a moderate pace and one week at a faster pace. It all depends on your personal preference.

If you want to take this course in one of our in-person classes, be sure to view our locations.

We highly recommend taking the class ONLINE, rather than in-person, because you can complete it at your own speed and from the comfort of your own home. You receive all the same materials that you would if you were to take our in-person classes, but the cost is less expensive and, again, what’s better than studying from home and not having to drive through traffic once a week for class at the end of long, hard work days.

About this Process

The process to get your license is relatively simple. Our tutorial videos, once you enroll, will walk you through the process from beginning to end. The basic breakdown is as follows:

  • Take A Prep Course (like this one).
  • Get A DBA
  • Mail Your Application To The State
  • Pass State Tests
  • Get A Surety Bond and Get Fingerprinted

Again, we’ll help walk you through the process, but the first step is to enroll in our course.

Call For Additional Info or to Set Appt:


What our clients are saying

The contracting school in Temecula really changed my life. Today I own my own business. I would highly recommend this school for anyone trying to get their contractor license in the state of California!!

The contracting school in Temecula really changed my life. Today I own my own business. I would highly recommend this school for anyone trying to get their contractor license in the state of California!!


If you don’t see your question answered here, you can always send us an email. Note: many of the questions you might have will be answered through our schooling program.

How long does it take to get the license?

It really depends on you. Our schooling program only takes 4 weeks to complete, but you can do it at your own pace. You can finish it pretty easily within a week if you get some extra time. In terms of actually acquiring the license, it all depends on when you submit your Application to the state of California. In order to get the license, you must pass TWO tests with the state. One is on construction law and one is on the trade of your choice. To take these tests, you must apply by submitting an application. Upon submitting the application, it can take anywhere from two weeks to eight weeks (sometimes longer) to get a date to take the tests. Once you pass the tests, you have to complete a few small things and then your license is mailed to you within a few weeks. Overall, the process can take two or more months. But, again, the timing depends on how quickly you finish our course and when you decide to submit your application. Finally, it depends on how long the state takes to process your application.

Do I have to have General Liability insurance?

No. The only insurance you have to carry to be a licensed contractor is a “surety bond” in the amount of $15,000 — which equates to about $100 a year. That’s extremely inexpensive. There is a misconception that you have to have general liability to have a contractors license. You don’t. However, not many people will hire you if you don’t have it (especially for commercial jobs). As a general rule, it would be good to have it, because it will ultimately protect you, your business and your client. That being said, you don’t have to have it to actually get and hold your license.

What license should I get?

There are many licenses. You should get the one that you have minimum four years of experience in. In order to get your license, you must have four years of experience in the trade of your choice. Whatever license in which you have that is the license you should get. If you have four years in multiple trades you would probably qualify for a GeneralB. Or you should get the license for which you are going into business for.

What if I don't have 4 years of experience?

If you have a bachelor’s degree or higher you only need 2 years of experience in construction to get your license. If you have an Associate’s degree you only need 3 years experience. Otherwise, you need the full four years of experience. If you don’t have it, you have to get it. There are no exceptions. That’s your only option. You need to go to work for someone in the trade in which you want to get licensed.

How do I prove my experience?

In order to prove you have four years of experience, you’ll need a qualifier (a person) to sign off on your application (only 1 person) saying that they know you have the necessary experience. Typically this would be someone you’ve worked for, and generally you’d want this person to be a licensed contractor. However, that’s not a requirement. It can be someone you worked with or worked for. It can be a past client. It can be a union representative. You have a few options. NOW, after you submit your application, there is a small chance that CSLB (the Contractor State License Board) will ask you for additional proof. In that case, you would have to provide one of two things (or both). If you’ve been working for a company, you’d need to provide w-2s. If you’ve been working self-employed, you’d have to provide invoices from past jobs.

Contact Us