How to Get a Contractor License
Getting your contractor’s license in the state of California consists of 7 steps.
- Make sure you have the right amount of experience. A licensed contractor in the state of California is a little like having a college degree. The State wants to make sure you have at least 4 years of experience in the trade in which you are trying to get your license.
- You will need to pass two state tests. The first test will be based on the law specific to the construction industry. The second test will be based on the construction field for which you are trying to obtain your license. Each test is made up of 125 questions and you will have 3 hours to complete each test. You take both tests the same day so plan on a long day. If you try to split them up you will have to pay $75 extra.
- In order to get your contractor exam dates with the state, you will need to fill out the “Application for Original Contractor’s License.” We provide this application when you attend one of our schools as listed on our website: www.ContractorLicenseNow.com or you can download it from the Contractor State Licensing board at www.CSLB.CA.GOV. You will need to include a check or money order when you send in your application for the amount of $300.00. Then, once you have completed your exam and collected your final paperwork, see steps 4-8, you will send in your final amount of $180.00 bringing the total cost to the state to $480.00.
- Go to school! Most contractors are familiar with their trade but have a difficult time with passing the law. Here at the Contractor License School, you will get all the necessary information to pass both the law and trade tests. We are so confident in our method, which unlike any other school, uses both the eye and ear gate for learning with our special training technique. Our Director, a former elementary school principal and contractor, developed this curriculum using state of the art learning techniques used by our school and our school alone. This is why anybody who completes our training is guaranteed to pass.
- After you have gone to school and you sent your application to the state you will receive your test date once they have processed your application. Processing your application will take about 2 to 3 weeks. Once processed you will receive your test date which will be about 2 to three weeks out from the day you received your test date letter.
- Once you pass your licensing exams you will then be given an open book asbestos test, don’t worry we are the only school that has a copy of this test and it’s answers which we give you when you sign up for our classes.
- After passing the tests you will then pay to have a live scan done. This is a background check done by taking your fingerprints and sending them off to the state. Once cleared you will have almost completed everything you need for your license. By the way, if you have had some criminal activity in the past, don’t worry, set an appointment and come in so we can walk you through getting your license even if you have a criminal record.
- Finally, get bonded. In order to activate your license, you will need to get bonded for $15,000.00. Don’t get scared, that bond only costs about $100 for the year, depending on your credit.
Keep in mind that we are here to serve you and walk you through each step. You don’t have to do this alone. We will take the time to make sure that each step is accomplished in a timely and comfortable manner. Just give us a call.